KG Hospital Regional Blood Bank is one of the few designated Regional Transfusion Centres in Tamil Nadu. The Blood Bank is having state-of-the-art equipment and employing the latest technology to render blood safer for transfusion.
This is the second Blood Bank in India to incorporate gel technology from Switzerland for blood grouping and cross-matching. This advanced technology provides accurate results among other features, thus bringing the Blood Bank on par with those in the Western countries.
Our Blood Bank has got an Aphaeresis Machine which makes single donor plasma exchange possible.
Every unit of blood collected in the Blood Bank is tested for HIV, Hepatitis B and C, Syphilis, Malaria and SGPT.
A high SGPT value can denote the presence of Hepatitis C virus even if the result is negative when testing for antibodies to the virus. In addition, blood is tested for Cytomegalovirus before transfusion for transplant patients.
- The Blood Bank has an excellent component segregation device which can separate whole blood into 4 basic components such as Packed Red Cells, Platelet Concentrate, Fresh Frozen Plasma and Cryoprecipitate.
- Components separation is done using a special, sophisticated automatic component extractor which gives consistent volumes and maximum yield of components.
- The KG Regional Blood Bank caters to the needs of more than 250 hospitals and nursing homes not only in and around Coimbatore, but also to those in the neighbouring districts such as Tirupur, Erode, Udhagamandalam and Palakkad in Kerala.
- Blood and blood components are supplied free of cost to thalassemia and haemophilia patients and are also given either free or at concessional rates to poor patients.
- The demand for blood exceeds the supply and therefore to bridge the gap, the Blood Bank is conducting Blood Donation Camps regularly. In these camps, the people are educated about the various aspects of voluntary blood donation. Donor motivation and retention also form part of the Blood Bank’s activities.
- The KG Regional Blood Bank never compromises on the quality of blood and blood components. For the Blood Bank, “Quality” is a journey and not a destination!!